The Asparagus season is here, how fantastic is that!!
The German White Asparagus
The German white asparagus season is short, between April to June. But there is no joke that the Germans are proud of their white gold, and they sure make the most out of the short season. There are celebrations all over Germany to take part in, such as festivals and pealing contests. If you’re looking for a magical gastronomic experience you should visit the asparagus routs in Baden or Lower Saxony. The routs offer fantastic restaurants and farms visits, people are proud, and one can really feel the important role the asparagus has in their culture. Are you an asparagus lover – then definitely worth a visit!
Want to learn more about the asparagus or want to visit the routs, tap on the links in the text!
White Asparagus with homemade Hollandaise Sauce
Please see recipe below for 4 people, approx. 40 min.
What you need
2-3 White Asparagus per person
250 gram Cured Salmon
Hollandaise Sauce (see recipe below)
Thyme, for garnish
How to make
- Rinse and peal the asparagus, strike from top to bottom.
- Boil up some water and add salt and butter.
- Boil the asparagus for approx. 15 minutes.
- Put 2-3 asparagus on each plate and add salmon, hollandaise and garnish with thyme.
What you need for Hollandaise sauce
300 gram Butter
3 Egg yolks
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water
1 teaspoon vinegar
Salt and pepper
How to make Hollandaise sauce
- Melt the butter in a casserole, separate and save the clear butter.
- Mix egg yolks, lemon juice and water in a casserole. Heat it up slowly while whisking it creamy.
- Make sure that the mix and butter has the same temperature. Slowly add the butter in to the mix while whisking.
- Season with salt, pepper and vinegar until you reach the right taste.
Enjoy the Asparagus Season & Guten Appetit!